Current Project:


First Step is currently looking for two volunteers to teach English in Ziquítaro Michoacán for the Winter semester (February – June 2010), the Fall semester (August – December 2010) or both. Volunteers will be teaching English classes to community members of all ages. Classes will take place both in the local public schools as well as in the town center. Volunteers are not required to have a teaching degree, although experience teaching is preferable. Basic Spanish proficiency is required. If you are interested in teaching these semesters or any semester in the future please email Rachel Miers at rachelmiers@gmail.com for more information and/or an application.





Current Fundraiser: Cookbook

Obtaining non-profit status is a slow process so in the meantime we are heading a few fundraising efforts in order to provide the volunteers with a living stipend as well as buy needed classroom materials. As part of a school project, some of English students worked together with Katherine Ferry and Rachel Wickland to compile a bilingual cookbook with some of their favorite recipes (about 15 in total). We are selling the book (which can be sent via email in PDF form) for $12 or I send you a hard copy for $16. All of the proceeds will go directly to the project in Mexico. If you would like to buy a cookbook you can email me your request at rachelmiers@gmail.com (note whether you would like the PDF or hard copy version). I will then give you the address to which you can send a check. Any extra donations are greatly appreciated! Thanks for your help and staying posted with the blog!

Town Profile

Location:
Ziquítaro is located in the central state of Michoacán, Mexico and is roughly one hour and a half driving distance from Michoacán’s capital - Morelia. Ziquítaro is considered a “rancheria” or ranch town as it is a small community which originally developed around a ranch. There is no official sign or paved off ramp for Ziquítaro just a dirt road turnoff on the side of the highway. Ziquítaro is located about 5 kilometers (three miles) away from the highway.

Commerce & Population:
With the exception of small family run convenience stores operated out of houses, Ziquítaro boasts no established commerce as employment opportunities are minimal. A majority of the town is dedicated to sustenance agricultural production. While many town members work in  the neighboring town six kilometers away, the majority choose to immigrate to the United States, their primary destinations being California and Texas. It is estimated that 2000- 3000 of the town's 4000 members are living and working in the US. Consequently, a large portion of family income is derived from remittances - the money sent from those working in the US. Due to this out-migration o Ziquítaro is inhabited primarily by women, children and the elderly.

Educational Opportunities:
Ziquítaro offers public schooling from kindergarten to junior high. The nearest high school is located a short bus ride away in a neighboring town. The junior high is a “tele-secundaria” literally translating to “TV junior high”.  This educational program, which began in 1968, was enacted as an attempt to bring enhanced educational opportunities to impoverished rural communities. The telesecundaria program uses minimal resources as lessons are imparted through televised lesson plans which are sent to the schools via satellite and shown to students with the guidance of a Procter. Junior high, and in many cases elementary school, is often the last formal education the town’s children receive as immigration becomes a viable and attractive possibility once a student turns 14.

Religion:
The majority of the town members are catholic thus allowing for the church to assume a central role in the community. The town’s priest, Manuel Vazquez Rubio, has been working in the community for two years and has enlivened the town with his religious sermons as well as his work and supportive presence in the community. Much activity and energy revolves around the town’s religious festivities which span from December to January. The importance of the festivities are reflected by the significant increase in town population; on average over 1000-1500 town members return from the US to visit family members and take part in the communal religious celebrations, causing the town’s population to nearly double.



Friday, October 3, 2008

Katherine’s entry: What I have taught and learned so far

My first weeks teaching in Ziquítaro have been outstanding. I teach 5th grade at the elementary school, kindergarten, an extracurricular class for young children, the adult class (together with Rachel), as well as the first two grades in the Junior High. I adore the young children for their energy and willingness to participate. In the after-school class I have a number of slightly older students who studied with Rachel M. in the spring and are already proficient in basic English. They are very willing to help the younger ones who are shy and just beginning their study of English. The adult class is also a delight as it is small and almost all the students belong to the extended family of the woman we live with, which makes for a familiar and easygoing environment. The adults are very interested in learning correct pronunciation, so I have utilized my training in linguistics to develop a system to convey English sounds using the conventions of written Spanish.

Teaching at the Telesecundaria is my favorite endeavor, despite its many challenges. The students are at the age in which, whether they are conscious of it or not, they are making decisions and encountering circumstances which will determine the course of their lives: whether to go on to high school, whether they will move to the United States, what professions they will choose, and so on. My most frustrating obstacles to making progress with my students are, in both the seventh and eighth grades, behavioral problems and a lack of basic study habits. The eighth grade is a large and rowdy group: eighteen boys and six girls. Even after considerable time spent spelling out the rules of the classroom, the students still shout out questions, talk while I am talking, and leave their seats during class. Experience taught me quickly that certain tactics to maintain order absolutely do not work – namely losing patience and yelling. Though I felt somewhat defeated for doing so, I resorted to asking the Telesecundaria´s director and the more effective of the eighth grader teachers to come into my class and give the students a stern lecture about my expectations for classroom conduct and the uniqueness of this opportunity to learn English. The director recommended that the students who truly do not contribute to the class should not be allowed to study with me, and that I should report their behavior to the director and teachers. I wish I could inspire all students to be as hard-working as some of them are, but I agree that it is not fair to the others to learn very little in class because so much time is wasted on discipline.

We spoke with Ziquítaro’s priest, Manual Vasquez Rubio, one night after a frustrating day at the Telesecundaria. The priest is a terrific ally and friend to us, and as a result of our conversation I have a new perspective on the classroom atmosphere and life in rural México in general. He is an educated and worldly man, and underwent a similar experience of culture shock when he arrived in this tiny town. He told us that something similar to the lack of decorum at the Telesecundaria occurred when he first gave mass to the people of Ziquítaro: people sat and gossiped, brought their dogs, and neglected to take screaming children outside the church. I realized that this difference in behavioral standards is a town-wide phenomenon, and now I try to view everything through a different lens. I have concluded that my students literally have not been introduced to the standards of behavior that are expected in an American classroom. When I observed the seventh grade class with their normal teacher, their behavior was the same: yelling, talking out of turn, playing with basketballs during class, etc. The teacher mentioned to me privately that he thought the students where payasos (clowns) and there was nothing he could do. I disagree. I feel I am an ambassador and that a vital part of my job is to impart to my students the reality of school in the United States. I must continually remind myself that I do not enter every day into the kind of junior high classroom where I studied, and that I can’t expect anything to be the same.

One may wonder why after the exasperating task of teaching good behavior to these students, I still enjoy so thoroughly being their teacher. Apart from the chaotic atmosphere in the classroom, many of my students are bright, hardworking, and ambitious. I assigned a project to the students, and the result completely surprised me. I asked them to bring pictures of their families, along with descriptions of several members including their ages, names, relation, and where they are live. The vast majority of my students, including those who yell the loudest during class, turned in beautifully decorated posters with several photographs and captions. I cannot remember the last time I felt so proud. The English on their projects was imperfect of course, but I am convinced that their work demonstrates their desire to learn. I am overjoyed, and very encouraged, by their enthusiasm. I believe that with some structure and my own enthusiasm, they will learn a tremendous amount this semester.

No comments: